This day camp is special… it is a sports camp for the physically disabled, designed for children who use a wheelchair or could use a wheelchair, so that they are able to compete in wheelchair sports or are ambulatory and have a physical disability. The Colorado Junior Wheelchair Sports Camp enables youth with disabilities to enjoy the same experience a day camp provides to their able-bodied peers. It will be most beneficial for youth with the ability to learn the rules of specific sports. This camp is open to physically disabled children in grades K through 12 on a first-come, first served basis. Confirmation of acceptance and the transportation schedule will be sent to each camper in early June. As a result of numerous contributors, donations, grants and volunteers, this sports camp is offered at no charge.
- This free sports camp is limited to the first 120 special needs students in grades K through 12.
- The sports camp is scheduled daily, from 9:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. beginning Monday, June 5th through Friday, June9th. Daily lunch and snacks will be provided.
- All sports equipment will be provided, but participants should bring a swimsuit and towel each day. Camp will continue, regardless of weather conditions. Please bring rain gear.
- Overnight accommodations are available for out-of-town campers at an additional cost. Out-of-town participants should be self sufficient in regards to their daily needs unless a full time support person is provided.
- There will be sessions for preschoolers on Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday and Friday mornings.
The wheelchair sports camp includes instruction in these sports:
ARCHERY HAND CYCLING FIELD BASKETBALL TENNIS HOCKEY
SWIMMING BOWLING POWER SOCCER SOFTBALL RUGBY FENCING
LACROSSE` KAYAKING KARATE
Transportation will be provided from designated locations
This camp is made possible through the volunteer efforts of over 100 people giving of their time throughout the week. The volunteer staff is comprised of youth and adults who come from varied backgrounds. They are students, teachers, nurses, physical therapists and others who want to serve people with disabilities. Interested individuals (ages 13 and over) please contact Jennifer Leasure, volunteer coordinator at e-mail: email@example.com. Graduate credit through Adam State College is available to adults who volunteer at camp. For more information contact Donna Carey at e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org .
The instructional staff is made up of adults who use a wheelchair for mobility. They are active in wheelchair sports and work in the community. Some of the staff members are former campers.
Colorado Sports for the Physically Challenged, Inc.
National Sports Center for the Disabled
Facilities Courtesy of
Aurora Public Schools
Spina Bifida Association of Colorado Adapted Adventures Mountain States PVA
Children’s Hospital Numotion Craig Hospital
For additional information contact Mary Carpenter at (303) 985-7525 or e-mail at email@example.com
FAX: 1 (877) 395-1487